This is one of those recipes I find super handy, a real life saver in so many situations! Zabaione is an egg based creamy dessert, ideal to have on its own or to be added to cakes, pancakes, crepes and so on. Here it is simply poured on top of berries to create a delicious dessert in minutes.
Like with most recipes, there are a few variations to Zabaione: add a drop of rum if you serve it after dinner, leave out the alcohol if it’s for children, cook it for a few minutes of you’re not comfortable eating raw eggs.
We are basically talking about beating up egg yolks and sugar for a while, so the quality of the eggs you choose will make a huge difference. If you have a few minutes to spare and would like to know something more about your eggs, this article is quite useful. In Australia there is no shortage of farmer’s that directly sell their eggs to the public: just remember that happy chickens make yummy eggs that will enhance the flavour of your food. It’s that simple.
Ingredients (to serve about 1)
The rule of thumb says 1 egg yolk per person, but that depends on the size of your eggs. Here I used 2 per one serving, because they were small eggs. Per each yolk, add about the same quantity of sugar, roughly 1 egg yolk = 1 tablespoon of sugar.
– 2 egg yolks
– 2 tablespoons of sugar
– 2 full teaspoons of rum (you can also use one of the following: Marsala, Madeira, Porto, Kirsch)
1. Work egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl for a good 10 minutes or more, until the sugar is completely dissolved and your mixture is light in colour and very creamy in consistency. If you are ok with eating it raw, just add the rum and your dessert it ready, if you prefer to have it cooked proceed to next step.
2. Place the mixing bowl on steam, as shown in picture. Alternatively you can do a bain marie, but the mixing bowl musn’t touch the water so you have to raise it somehow. Add the Rum and keep stirring with a wooden spoon for about five minutes, until the mixture thickens a little. Make sure the egg doesn’t start sticking on the sides of the bowl, if it does remove from heat immediately.
3. Zabaione is ready! Place in fridge for a couple of hours and serve it cold with fresh fruit, on top of ice-cream, or as is with cocoa on top…
As I said, the main trick here is having good eggs. Please bare in mind that your Zabaione will only last in the fridge for a couple f days.
Match it with
A serving of the same wine or spirit you used in the Zabaione, dark chocolate and berries.
Have a Thermomix?
In the Thermomix this is very very easy, here we go:
1. Use the butterfly. If you can, have it refrigerated for a while before starting.
2. Pour all the ingredients in the bowl, 6 Min. 70°C Speed 2.