- 1 x 500g packet sweet shortcrust pastry
For the filling
- 450g prepared weight pumpkin flesh, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 75g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ level tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 275ml double cream
How to make pumpkin pie
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Prepare the pumpkin by peeling and chopping into 1in/2.5cm cubes, place on a large piece of foil and seal loosely so the pumpkin will steam while cooking, place in a roasting tin and bake in the oven for 40 mins or until soft.
2. One the pumpkin is cooked, pass through a sieve to produce a smooth puree.
2. Line your tart tin with sweet pastry and bake blind for 10 mins or until cooked and golden. Turn the oven down to 150°C/gas mark 2.
3. Lightly whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl, then add the sugar and spices. Add the pumpkin puree and finally beat in the cream, mixing so everything is thoroughly combined.
4. Pour the filling into your prepared pastry case and bake for 40 minutes, by which time it will puff up around the edges but still feel slightly wobbly in the centre.
5. Remove from oven and place the pie on a wire cooling rack. Serve chilled or at room temperature with some chilled crème fraiche or cream.