This Pork Loin with Apples is a very special recipe, put together by our superstar Ema! Easy to make but rich in contrasting flavours, this is something worth your time in the kitchen!
The sory of the recipe is somehow romantic, too: for her wedding, Ema had chosen a fairy-tale theme and fresh green apples were the main decorative items. Most apples got eaten up by the guests during the party, but Ema and her husband took home a few kilos. During the following weeks Ema had to use up these apples, so she started baking apple pies for the whole neighbourhood, making fruit salad every night and, finally, she came up with her own pork loin and apple recipe!
Ingredients to serve about 4
– 800 gr pork loin
– 1 clove of garlic
– 3 green apples, peeled and cubed
– 1 tablespoon extra vergin olive oil
– 1/2 glass of Calvados (approx 125ml)
– 1 tablespoon mustard
– 1/2 glass vegetable stock (approx 125ml)
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 tablespoon apple vinegar
– salt to taste
1. Put olive oil, garlic and bay leaf in a casserole on medium heat.
2. When hot, add the meat and brown for about 10 minutes.
3. Turn the heat up, add the Calvados and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the alcohol evaporates.
4. Turn the heat down, add apples, mustard and vinegar.
5. Add stock and keep cooking until the meat is well done but not too dry.
6. Turn the heat off and wait five minutes before slicing the meat.
If you don’t have Calvados, white wine can also work.
Match it with
If you want something extra on the side, I would recommend light salad of baby spinach, fresh green apples and walnuts.