Drinks of the Triple Crown
It’s Derby Day at Churchill Downs and time to imbibe a few of these classic southern libations. Mint Juleps are distinctly American, originating in the Commonwealth of Virgina in the 1700s. Kentucky is where they make the best Mint Juleps, however, featuring the state’s indigenous Bourbon whiskey and mint.
pewter or silver glass or mug
3 to 4 oz. bourbon (I used Maker’s Mark)
fresh mint leaves
1 oz. of simple syrup
- Pour 1/2 oz. of syrup into glass.
- Pour mint leaves into glass and mix with syrup using a wooden spoon.
- Rub the entire inside of the glass with the syrup-covered leaves.
- Pack the glass over the top with crushed ice.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 oz. of syrup over the ice.
- Pour in the bourbon.
- Garnish with sprig of mint.
- Place your bets!!
The Preakness – Black Eyed Susan
The Belmont Stakes – Belmont Breeze
United States Kentucky