This Saturday is Derby Day, the first stop on the road to the Triple Crown. It is a perfect excuse to get friends together for a little mid-day party just before Mother’s Day. To do it right you will need to include the traditional food and drinks popular in the Bluegrass State.
Your bar should have each of the signature drinks from the Triple Crown on hand. These include the Mint Julep, the Black-eyed Susan, and the Belmont Breeze. Pair these with classic Kentucky dishes like the Hot Brown and Beer Cheese and your party will become an early May tradition.
3/4 bottle of your favorite beer
1/4 large yellow onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tspn ground black pepper
1/2 tspn Tabasco sauce
1/2 tspn Worcestershire sauce
pinch of Kosher salt
1 tspn dry mustard
16 oz. grated cheddar cheese
- Open a bottle of your favorite beer and let sit for at least 3 hours.
- Add all of the ingredients except the beer to a food processor and pulse until all of the ingredients are well mixed.
- Turn the food processor on continuously and pour the beer into the food processor.
- Transfer the mixture to a sealable container. Place a piece of wax paper directly on the cheese and then put lid on container.
- Refrigerate for 2 days.
- Serve with your favorite vegetables, crackers, and pretzels.
United States Kentucky [ print this recipe for Kentucky Derby Beer Cheese ]