This simple mashed artichoke hearts in broth with a bit of garlic and cream makes one of the tastiest Italian recipes of soups . This recipe will make soup sufficient for four.
What You Need:
- 4 cups chicken or vegetables broth
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Freshly ground black or white pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice or white wine or distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 6 large artichokes
How to Make:
- In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid bring about 1 inch water, lemon juice,and 1 tsp. salt to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut stems and thorns from artichokes. Place artichokes, stem-side down and standing, in pot. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until a leaf pulls out easily from each artichoke, about 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water after draining.
- Pull off and discard dark green, outer leaves. Use a spoon to scrape out fuzzy choke. Cut off any fibrous dark green parts around outside of heart. Roughly chop heart and put in a blender or food processor. Use all the artichokes similarly.
- Use a spoon to scrape off tender flesh from each leaf. Discard them.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant for about 1 minute. Transfer garlic to blender with artichokes.
- Whirl artichokes with broth until very smooth. You will need to let the blender run a bit for this to happen–whirl for at least 2 minutes.
- Transfer artichoke mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup hot.