- 2 T-bone steaks
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chips
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp molasses or black treacle
- 1 tbsp Jack Daniel’s whiskey or any bourbon whiskey
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- Juice of ½ lime
How to make all-American steak with sweet potato chips
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large dish. Add the steaks and mix to coat in the marinade. Season well and set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a roasting tin and toss with the cayenne pepper and vegetable oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper and roast in the hot oven for 30 minutes until golden and crisp.
3. Just before the chips are ready, heat a griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan until very hot. Add 1 steak, and cook for 2-3 minutes each side for medium rare. Set aside on a warm plate to rest while you cook the remaining steak, then serve with the sweet potato chips.
4. To barbecue, preheat your barbecue in the usual way until it reaches the correct temperature. Cook turning once, bearing in mind you may have to adjust the cooking time slightly depending on how hot your barbecue is or how near the heat source the food is placed.